[Lustre-discuss] Problems with fstab entry on sles11

Brian J. Murrell Brian.Murrell at Oracle.COM
Mon May 3 05:57:01 PDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 13:18 +0200, Matthias Wolf wrote:
> Hello Folks,
>
> i guad probelms with the fstab entry.
> The lustre filesystem doesnt startup on boot.
> A mount -a after reboot start the lustre filesystem.
> Whats the problem?
> Is there something special with SLES11.

Yes, there is.

Lustre, of course, requires the network to be available when it wants to
mount, but typically, mounting of filesystems happens before network
availability.

Historically, this has been handled by adding a "_netdev" option to the
fstab for filesystems that require the network in order to mount.  This
causes the "first pass" mount to skip those mounts and a "second pass"
mount is done after the network is up to catch the _netdev entries.

Some time ago Suse dropped support for _netdev.  I filed this as bug
331255 in Novell's bugzilla back in 2007.  There was some discussion,
but the _netdev functionality was never resurrected.  I also filed bug
13714 in our own bugzilla to track the issue, but it seems to have never
come to a final resolution.  :-/

Perhaps other SLES users here can post ideas on how they handle this
situation.  I guess for those using heartbeat, this is a non-issue as
heartbeat handles the mounting and heartbeat is started after
networking.

b.