[Lustre-discuss] lustre client and kvm?

Janne Aho janne at citynetwork.se
Tue May 11 13:59:57 PDT 2010

Brian wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 19:56 +0200, Janne Aho wrote:
>> We run into a slight misfortune, the lustrefs client kernel lacks kvm
>> support and it wasn't just straight to compile the kernel just by adding
>> the kvm patches.
>
> Are you not using the patchless client?  The patchless client works with
> the vendor supplied kernel, so your kernel has whatever your vendor
> normally builds into it.

I'll tell my tester and see if he gets it working.
We gone with what we found at the Sun, sorry Oracle download site.

>> Does someone have a set of patches to make kvm part of the lustre client
>> kernel or even know some already compiled kernels?
>
> I don't know that we "remove" kvm from our patched kernel.  It might be
> that we disable the feature when we build it and it could be that you
> simply need to enable it and rebuild the kernel.  But if we disable it,
> it's entirely possible that it's for good reason.

You haven't done anything to remove it, neither anything to add it, as
it didn't become part of the vanilla kernel until 2.6.20 and RHEL/CentOS
are using 2.6.18 with kvm patches.

But we see how it goes with the the patchless client. Thanks for the advice.

--
Janne Aho | City Network Hosting AB
Developer
EMail: janne at citynetwork.se

ICQ: 567311547 | Skype: janne_mz | AIM: janne4cn
Gadu: 16275665 | MSN: janne at citynetwork.se

www.citynetwork.se | www.box.se