[Lustre-discuss] Future of lustre 1.8.3+

Andreas Dilger andreas.dilger at oracle.com
Thu May 20 13:45:20 PDT 2010

On 2010-05-20, at 11:33, Ramiro Alba Queipo <raq at cttc.upc.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-05-20 at 10:16 -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
>> The SLES11 kernel is at 2.6.27 so it could be usable for this.
>> Also, I
>
> Ok, I am getting
> http://downloads.lustre.org/public/kernels/sles11/linux-2.6.27.39-0.3.1.tar.bz2
>
> but, please. Where can I get a suitable config file to apply both for
> servers and clients?

The config files are in the Lustre source tree in lustre/
kernel_patches/kernel_configs/

You can just use the .config file from your client kernel (ie
patchless) since you don't need the patched server kernel on the
clients.

>> thought that there were Debian packages for Lustre, why not use
>> those?
>
> Yes. I used them at the beginning, but after lustre 1.8.0.1 vanilla
> servers are not any more supported to be used as servers and I started
> to use RH5 kernels with lustre-1.8.1.1, both for clients and servers.

That's too bad that the Debiana maintainers have stopped making
updates. Doubly so because we worked to add the fixes needed to build
on Debian into the Lustre sources, so it is possible to do "make debs"
to get Debian packages using all of the standard Debian packaging tools.

> In my case using Ubuntu 10.04 with kernel 2.6.32 NOT suported as a
> lustre  patchless client, I prefer using an only kernel for the
> whole cluster,
> do I?

That is by no means a requirement.