[Lustre-discuss] Lustre and Automount

Fraser McCrossan fm at sharcnet.ca
Thu May 27 12:37:50 PDT 2010

David Simas wrote:
> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 12:50:15PM -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
>
>> There have been some reports of problems with automount and Lustre
>> that have never been tracked down.  If someone with automount
>> experience and config, and time to track this down could investigate
>> I'm sure we could work it out.
>>

> The autofs that comes with RHEL5 won't mount Lustre.  We got
> it working with autofs-5.0.3-36, from some version of Fedora.
> Later versions of autofs should also work.  The fix to autofs
> is almost trivial.  A function scans the mount command to
> make sure it contains just "legal" characters.  To get Lustre
> to automount, it needs "@" in it's list of such.
>
> We did find that the automounter sometimes failed to remove
> the Lustre record from /etc/mtab on unmounting the file system.
> That would cause subsequent remounts to fail.  Another easy
> fix: link /etc/mtab to /proc/mounts.

Also, remember that you can't mount Lustre subdirectories. That is, you
can mount your Lustre filesystem as, say, /home, but you can't mount
/home/username.

An approach that we are testing (but haven't tried in production yet)
was suggested by an earlier post from Andreas Dilger, and involves two
automounts. The first mounts the base Lustre filesystem(s) somewhere
(say, /lustre) as a direct mount, the second is /etc/auto.home and looks
like this:

*    -bind    :/lustre/&

In our case we have an executable map that generates the mount line
based on the contents of the description field in LDAP (which indicates
which Lustre FS contains the home - we have two), but the principle is
the same.