[Lustre-discuss] Lustre install

Michael Barnes Michael.Barnes at jlab.org
Wed Oct 27 11:15:14 PDT 2010

On Oct 27, 2010, at 1:56 PM, Jagga Soorma wrote:

> Thanks Michael for your response.  So if I understand correctly, you have not had any issues running the stock kernel with the sun/oracle provided lustre client rpms and instead of using the kernel-ib package you install your own ofed packages.

Thats correct.

> Also, I have the new intel 8 core cpu's and would prefer to go to sles 11 sp 1 instead of sles 11.  However, this is not supported by the lustre client yet.  What has your experience been with building your own lustre rpm's from source using a different kernel?  Do you still have to patch the kernel?  I am also thinking about installing sles 11 sp1 and just building the lustre client rpm's from source.  Not sure if it is required to patch the kernel if I use the most updated version provided my sles 11 sp1.

No. Lustre client kernel modules are self-contained aka "patchless" clients.  Its been a while since I made the RPMs, but I found this laying around:

./configure --disable-server --with-linux=/usr/src/linux-2.6.22-pfm-xeon --with-o2ib --enable-quota --disable-readline

Then I believe 'make rpms' does the right thing.

Now that I said how easy it was, there is a caveat.  Now, there may be issues with specific kernels, but this worked for us.  The linux-2.6.22 kernel is a kernel.org kernel with pfm patches (performance monitoring) and this kernel also has a NDAed patch from AMD because there are bugs in the CPUs and the patches are workarounds for the bugs in the CPU.

It works for us, YMMV.

-mb

--