[Lustre-discuss] RAID cards - what works well with Lustre?

lior amar liororama at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 23:19:46 PDT 2011

Hi Daire,

I am currently building a Lustre system using LSI-2965 (the successor of the
LSI-2960 ) it has 1 GB of RAM and dual core processors.
My experience with the card is quite good (Raid 6 performance of this card
is very good).

I am using it on my OSS's with the following configuration

18 1TB (7200) sas disks in a raid 6 (16 data + 2) with 256KB.
2 15K sas disks in raid 1 for the journal

I know the Lustre manual recommends using a stripe unit that will give a
total of 1MB.
But the performance I got when using 64KB stripe units (16*64=1M) were lower
then the case of 256KB.

The max_sectors_kb is limited to 280 so I set it to 256
And I tested varios I/O schedulers without getting any difference.

Raw performance of the raid6 : ~960MB/sec write 1.5GB/sec Read
Lustre performance using the obdfilter-survey (local mode) are also good. I
will email you the results later (not in office now).

Please let me know if there are any more details I can provide that might
help you.

Regards

--lior

Lior Amar, Ph.D.