[Lustre-discuss] Huge numbers of inodes

Andreas Dilger adilger at whamcloud.com
Fri May 20 09:35:30 PDT 2011

On 2011-05-20, at 10:17 AM, "Sam Bigger" wrote:
> I doubt it. The largest lustre systems are a little over 300 million files
> that are really in existence.
>
> However, the limits, in terms of just maximum inodes allowed, using 4K per
> inode and a 2TB max MDT size (mirrored 2 copies), only allows for a little
> over 500 million files max.

The theoretical limit is actually 4B inodes for ext3/4.  I don't think anyone has ever tested that.

In Lustre 2.1 the default inode ratio has been changed to 1 inode per 2048 bytes (formerly 1 per 4096 bytes). That would allow 4B inodes on an 8TB MDT.

This can be used for any version of mkfs.lustre with "--mkfsoptions '-i 2048'".

You probably also want to use the ext4 ldiskfs and add '-t ext4' to mkfsoptions so that it enables flex_bg to speed up mkfs and fsck time.