[Lustre-discuss] Spindles versus Space

Andrus, Brian Contractor bdandrus at nps.edu
Tue Apr 24 19:18:27 PDT 2012

All,

We have a DDN system that consists of several sizes of disks (1TB, 2TB and 3TB).
I create LUNs which export out to the lustre MGS/MDS/OSS. I can either make the logical drive have the same number of spindles (eg 20 disks per logical drive) or I can make them have the same amount of space (so 20 ea 3TB, 30 ea 2TB and 60 ea 1TB).
My data is mixed as well; from 1 byte to 322GB, with the average being 5mb.

What are some recommendations on how to define the OSTs?

Thanks in advance!

Brian Andrus
ITACS/Research Computing
Naval Postgraduate School