[Lustre-discuss] Using NFS to mount lustre

Trevor Hargraves hargtre2 at isu.edu
Thu Jun 20 21:42:41 PDT 2013

Hi Beh,

I have no experience with Lustre and NFS, but this past spring (are we out
of it yet?) ;) I had the chance to learn a lot about Lustre as I chose it
to be the subject of a term paper for the college I am attending. I decided
an hands on approach was the best way and started out with 3 nodes and
tried to get things running. Being inexperienced with this wonderful
system, I get blowing things up and running my install of CentOS. I decided
to purchase a server big enough to support a 6 node Lustre cluster in
VMware ESXi 5.0 update 2. I have each client, the OSS, and MDT running on
their own drives on a Gb network. I am astonished with the performance that
I am seeing with this setup and am very pleased with how it runs. I am
going to add some physical machines to this setup here in the near future
when I have a few more minutes (I have to pay for college somehow) and then
allocate the resources from the old 4 VM clients to the MDT and OSS and see
what performance increases I see that way. I wished I had a SAN with fiber
connections to squeeze out all of the performance I could, but one day I
will try it! :)

If you have any specific questions in regards to VMware I would be more
than happy to answer them to the best of my abilities. Once again, it runs
beautifully and I haven't seen any errors or problems since inception on
this system. I am also running CentOS 6.4 with Lustre 2.4 and collectl for
some basic statistics here and there.

Hope this helps in some way or another!

Trevor Hargraves

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 9:57 PM, Teik Hooi Beh <thbeh at thbeh.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have just recently started to test Lustre and even with a small 2 nodes
> deployment, I find the performance is outstanding on 1Gb networking.
>
> I was trying to search through the list for anything that could help me to
> mount using NFS protocol but could not find anything.
>
> Is that possible or have anyone done that before? I am in particular
> interested if anyone have use Lustre with VMware. I am currently testing on
> 2.1.5.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards
> Beh