[lustre-discuss] Old Lustre Filesystem migrate to newer servers

Andreas Dilger adilger at whamcloud.com
Wed Jul 19 21:56:28 PDT 2023

Wow,  Lustre 1.6 is really old, released in 2009.  Even Lustre 2.6 would be pretty old, released in 2014.

While there haven't been a *lot* of on-disk format changes over the years, there was a fairly significant change in Lustre 2.0 that would probably make upgrading the filesystem directly to a more recent Lustre release (e.g. 2.12.9) difficult.  We've long since removed compatibility for such old versions from the code.

My recommendation would be to install a VM with an old version of RHEL and Lustre (e.g. RHEL5 and Lustre 1.8.9 from https://downloads.whamcloud.com/public/lustre/lustre-1.8.9-wc1/el5/server/RPMS/x86_64/) and attach the storage to the node.  You would probably need to do the "writeconf" process to change the server NIDs from their current IB addresses to TCP.  Other than that, if the node can see the storage, Lustre should be able to mount it.

I would then strongly recommend to copy all of the data to new hardware, instead of running it like this.  *Even if* the storage is currently working, it is 10+ years old and likely to also fail soon.  Also, the storage is likely to be small and slow compared to any modern devices, and should be refreshed before the data is permanently lost.

Cheers, Andreas